Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Childhood Favorites, Part I

This week I felt an impulse to revisit a few of the books I loved as a kid. No doubt there are many I've forgotten, and some I look at now and think, "Bzuh?". Tastes change and memories fail, but there will always be standouts that leave a lasting impression. Today I pay tribute to the irrepressible teenage detective, Trixie Belden.



Trixie was fearless and smart (though her brothers had to tutor her in math, if I remember right). She wasn't traditionally pretty, like Di or Honey, but cute in her own way--at least Jim thought so! Even 25 years ago the books were hopelessly dated, but I couldn't get enough of them. Who could resist a flawed, likeable heroine who solved mysteries and whose favorite word was "Jeepers!"?


2 comments:

Cynthia Reese said...

Hit upon your blog when I, er, should have been writing, but, oh, my another Trixie Belden fan! Loved, loved, loved them, and wanted SO much to be part of their Bobwhites! The grown-ups were SO cool, and Mrs. Trask was just super! Jeepers!

OK, now I have to enter the current century, but thanks for the memory!

Chris said...

Cynthia, Thanks for posting. Great to see there are other Trixie fans out there, as well as other writers who occasionally stray from their writerly duties!