Friday, October 5, 2007

Sad but True

I'm reading Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird this week. Here's a quote from the introduction:

"My writer friends, and they are legion, do not go around beaming with quiet feelings of contentment. Most of them go around with haunted, abused, surprised looks on their faces, like lab dogs on whom very personal deodorant sprays have been tested."

This book is laugh-out-loud funny. The conversations in her head sound a lot like the ones in my head. It's good to know there are other mentally unstable writers out there who still manage to live productive lives.

3 comments:

angelarene said...

I love this book. I was so happy when I found a published writer whose inner doubts also had to be wrestled to the floor before she could write. It was comforting to know that famous writers have to do that too.

Helena said...

Ha! Sounds great. I'll have to check it out.

Helena said...

You know, it just dawned on me that "lab dogs" doesn't mean Labradors. Doh!